Friday 26 January 2018

Mangaka Highlight: Io Sakisaka

Io Sakisaka:
 Queen of Shoujo Romance Manga
by S. Sawyer




“A world, in which the person you like likes you back...a world which glitters and sparkles this much, really exists.” 
― Io SakisakaStrobe Edge, Vol. 10




If you haven't become acquainted with this shoujo mangaka and/or her work yet, then my question to you is:



With stunning artwork, lovable characters and beautiful storylines, Io Sakisaka's manga never disappoints. Born in Tokyo, Japan, on June 8th, 1975, this mangaka has created many well-known works, such as Ao Haru Ride and Strobe Edge.




Some of her manga have been made into anime series and others into live action movies. Their simplistic storylines and familiar themes are able to shine through no matter the form her storytelling is shaped into. The stories she weaves quite often take readers through one of the most turbulent periods of one's life, adolescence, paired with another drama-filled element of life: love. 


(Ren and Ninako from Strobe Edge)


Ms. Sakisaka's stories would not be so well-liked if her characters weren't so lovable. She crafts adorably imperfect heroines with equally imperfect heroes. The reader is prompted to feel sympathetic to the characters' plights because they are extremely easy to relate to. Though some decisions her characters may make might be frustrating, you still want to root for them in the end. One thing I appreciate about her characters is that they are well-developed, and one can see how they and their relationships with each other evolve in a masterful portrayal of the turbulence of youth.


(Rio and Yuna from Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare - Still ongoing)


Ms. Sakisaka weaves her magic in all of .her works. I have never regretted selecting one of her manga to read, and probably never will. I, for one, cannot wait to see what she produces next!



Fun fact: She also designed the characters for the animated film, Hal (2013).


1 comment:

  1. Hi.Great post on Io Sakisaka. I also am a fan of her art work and she is my favorite manga artist/author. She created my all time favorite manga, Ao Haru Ride, and now I even bought some of the manga books and also got the rest as a birthday gift from one of my sisters. And I even bought the anime soundtrack CD and DVD! And I'm hoping to get the illustration book of her art work and the process of it for Ao Haru Ride and Strobe Edge, but until it is made in an English version. I've read work since high school but now I'm finally able to obtain one of her works for myself to reread, rewatch, and re listen to all the time. I also watched that anime movie, it was so beautiful! It would be nice if she had her own website or newsletter or like a place to send her fan mail. I do indeed follow her on instagram. :D ~~Maya Martin

    ReplyDelete